Company Operating Name: Mission Hill Family Estate
Company Legal name: Mark Anthony Group Inc.
Business Mailing Address: 1730 Mission Hill Road, West Kelowna, BC, V4T 2E4
Primary location of employment:
1730 Mission Hill Road
West Kelowna, BC
Secondary locations of employment:
5437 Lakeshore Road
4799 Wild Rose Street
501 Sibco Landfill Road
Terms of Employment: Full time, permanent
Annual Wage: $130,000.00 to $160,000
- We offer a discretionary bonus plan, based on overall company and individual performance
- Disability insurance
- Dental insurance
- Extended medical insurance (e.g. prescription drugs, paramedical services, medical services and equipment)
- Access to RSP program
As a key member of the Winery Leadership Team, the Chief Winemaker is the thought leader for cutting edge winemaking, while leading and executing the Winemaking strategy through
innovation and quality execution at all tiers. The Chief Winemaker will define the overall style for each wine and tier, while developing blends for both the luxury and artisanal winemaking operations.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for directing and overseeing the daily wine making functions, from receiving grapes to final blending and bottling on a range of both red and white varieties within
our VQA (100% BC) wine program. The major varieties received at our winery include Chardonnay, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir & Syrah.
- Define overall style for each wine and tier, while maintaining consistent style and enhance quality from year to year.
- Develop blends from small lot luxury blends, single vineyard or clonal selection wines, to larger VQA and CIC commercial blends.
- Responsible for the definition of blend parameters & final blend decision; invites feedback from Winemaking Team through group tastings.
- Select fruit for each tier, beginning with farming protocols, picking decisions, fruit processing, and fermentation/winemaking techniques in order for each tier to possess
a unique / differentiated style and flavor characteristics.
- Develop new wines either through compelling lot characteristics, and/or in conjunction with marketing, as a result of the market opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with the Viticulture Team, gaining an understanding of premium grape growing techniques in the Okanagan and translating that knowledge into producing premium
- Visit vineyards throughout the growing season including harvest and collaborate with Senior Director of Viticulture and the Viticulture Team to determine farming practices
for blocks specifically targeted for each wine.
- Assist in Developing and managing operating budgets, wine costing budgets, and capital budgets.
- Set cost and inventory budgets targets for all wines.
- Final blend decision on all CIC blends - based on suppliers, varietals, cost & style.
- Operation of laboratory and development or tests and equipment and analysis methods.
- Collaborate with VP Operations on the bottling schedule to produce wines in a timely manner to meet market demand and maximize wine quality.
- Forward thinking to determine capital investment to enhance wine quality and future growth potential.
- Ability to design wine production and methods to meet existing and future quality objectives and opportunities.
- Collaborate with external consultants on winemaking and styles for assigned tiers.
- Monitor bulk wine inventory to ensure quality is maintained through routine cellar maintenance, temperature controls, analytical testing and regular tastings.
- Ensure compliance of site operations with company policy and Federal and Provincial regulations (VQA Standards, WCB regulations etc).
- Champion a safe and healthy work environment for employees, through eliminating hazards, training employees and promoting safety awareness.
- Winery spokesperson and brand representative in the market, with media, and VIP guests.
- Represent the winery and the company at promotional activities; attending events and venues to showcase the wines and to provide support to the marketing and sales teams and
other winemaking, Public Relations or industry related duties as needed.
Team & Leadership Functions
- Lead, mentor, coach, educate, and motivate winemaking staff to maximize their potential through regular business reviews and structured training. (Current staff of 4; 3 winemakers,
1 Assistant Winemaker).
- Lead the Performance Management and Talent Review Process for the Winemaking Team, ensuring future Winemaking Leaders are shaped through the development and execution of personal
growth and development plans.
- Ability to collaborate with Executives, Sr Managers, multiple teams, and mid-level managers throughout the company (i.e. Proprietor, GM, marketing, sales, hospitality, chefs).
- Effectively build a strong relationship with the Operations Supervisor/Manager to ensure success in the cellars.
- Successfully manage direct reports to ensure continued growth and learning amongst team members.
- Build a strong team environment.
- Lead direct reports successfully through entire growing season.
- Leader in the Viticulture and Winemaking team functions, including attending and contributing to monthly meetings.
Minimum Requirements (Education, Experience, Qualifications, Skills, Abilities)
Skills, Education, & Experience
- University degree in Winemaking, Viticulture or related education.
- Minimum 10 years’ Winemaking experience in a top tiered winemaking environment.
- 5 years leadership experience in a winemaking role.
Abilities & Team Fit
- Ability to simplify complex situations.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Experience and passion to support sales functions and interact with customers in the market.
- Creative thinker with the ability to deliver “out of the box” solutions.
- Nimble/Flexible and Entrepreneurial.
- Ability to influence people and to inspire others to share your vision.
- High attention to detail with a great ability to multi-task.
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit.
- Experience leading, teaching and growing direct reports.
- Strong financial acumen.
Susanne Beaton, Director People Operations
Resumes are to be submitted online through www.missionhillwinery.com/careers
Alternatively cover letter and resumes can be email to: Recruitment@markanthony.com
Please add to subject line – Job Application for Chief Winemaker