The Winemaker will direct day to day cellar blending and finishing operations for both VQA and Cellared in Canada wines produced at our West Kelowna winery. The position will
involve work during our annual Grape harvest, as a part of the winemaking team producing our wines made from BC grown and harvested grapes.
- Responsible for directing and overseeing the daily wine blending and finishing operations for VQA and Cellared in Canada wine brands.
- Responsible for overseeing specific winemaking functions through harvest and crush, from receiving grapes to bottling for wines made from BC grapes as directed by the Chief
- Coordinate cellar work and laboratory analysis through instructing cellar employees via written work orders, recording production records on the winemaking database system
- Supervise all laboratory analysis methods for all wines including liaison with other company owned laboratories, to enhance and improve laboratory processes for all company
- Represent the winery and the company at promotional activities; attending events and venues to showcase the wines and to provide support to the marketing and sales teams.
- Direct winemaking operations for specific wines during our BC grape harvest.
- Contribute to the development of quality and style winemaking goals and the implementation to assigned wines.
- Participate in all blending sessions for both Cellared in Canada and VQA wines.
- Coordinate bulk wine inventory and shipments to the winery to ensure wines are available to meet bottling timelines at required blend specifications and standards that deliver
desired production costs and quality targets.
- Monitor bulk wine inventory to ensure quality is maintained through routine cellar maintenance, temperature controls, analytical testing and regular tastings and to reconcile
bulk wine inventories for internal and BC Liquor Distribution Branch (BCLDB) reporting purposes.
- Ensure compliance of site operations with company policy and Federal and Provincial regulations (VQA Standards, WCB regulations etc).
- Champion a safe and healthy work environment for employees, through eliminating hazards, training employees and promoting safety awareness.
- Other winemaking, Public Relations or industry related duties as assigned.
- Lead, mentor, coach, educate, and motivate winemaking staff to maximize their potential through regular business reviews and structured training. (Current staff of 4; 3 winemakers,
1 Assistant Winemaker).
- Lead the Performance Management and Talent Review Process for the Winemaking Team, ensuring future Winemaking Leaders are shaped through the development and execution of personal
growth and development plans.
Position Requirements / Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S) in Enology or Science from a 4 year University.
- Minimum of 5 years industry winemaking experience.
- 2 years’ experience with Laboratory Analysis.
- 2 Years’ experience leading and developing a cellar team.
- The ability to work independently, or in a team environment.
- Experienced with MS Office and the ability to learn and use company wine inventory system (VAHL).
- Willing to work flexible and extended hours when necessary, specifically through Harvest periods.
- Travel as necessary to events and venues to showcase wines.
- Occasional exposure to factors such as temperature extremes, moving machinery, noise, and fumes in a production environment.