||Asset Care Manager Opportunity – Sebastian Farms Vineyard Operations – Oliver, BC
Sebastian Farms is a collection of exceptional vineyards that showcase the remarkable character of the Okanagan Valley. Privately owned by the von Mandl Family of VMF Estates, these estate vineyards are comprised of exceptional sites in unique meso-climates
throughout the region, providing estate farmed grapes to Mission Hill Family Estate Winery, CedarCreek Estate Winery, CheckMate Artisanal Winery and Martin’s Lane Winery in the Okanagan Valley. Wines are crafted from the highest quality grapes sourced exclusively
from these vineyard sites, capturing the unique character and exquisite Okanagan terroir.
The Asset Care Manager leads the Vineyard Maintenance team to ensure the Vineyard operational assets of Sebastian Farms are maintained in excellent operating condition and that they are employed in the safest, most effective manner to maximize operating efficiencies
and financial return.
The responsibilities of the Asset Care Manager include:
Maintenance & Operations
• Lead the maintenance team to ensure the optimal operation of all vineyard operational equipment.
• Establish a robust Preventative Maintenance Programme using existing CMMS. Manage the ongoing execution of the programme through both a team of in-house mechanics, as well as, a team of decentralised, geographically spread Vineyard Managers and their respective
• Plan, organize, prioritize, assign, and manage incoming work requests for maintenance team and contractors, executing in an efficient and organized manner and ensure fluid communication to the Operations Team.
• Perform maintenance duties; repair, troubleshoot, and overhaul farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, spray equipment, mowers, leafing machines and wind machines including but not limited to; mechanical, electrical, electronic, pneumatic,
and hydraulic troubleshooting to detect faulty operations.
• Perform and communicate with affected operations for scheduled preventive maintenance and service on equipment to ensure the expected life of the equipment. Includes all active and reactive work requests throughout the day, replacing or repairing parts, testing,
adjusting, and verifying results.
• Champion a safe and healthy work environment for employees, through eliminating hazards, training employees, and ensuring a culture of safety awareness and that GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) are adhered to.
• Prepare and control the capital and operating budget for the maintenance department and manage within the annual maintenance or vineyard operational budgets.
• Establish a spares management and inventory system in support of all operational activities.
• Manage and record work activities, parts or materials used, orders or requisitions of new parts/materials as necessary; manage requisitions and purchase orders of required maintenance supplies, including transfer of parts and equipment across the Canada/USA
border; manage and track spare-parts inventory, maintain optimum level of spares inventory using Maintenance Management Software (Maintenance Connection).
• Prepare standard reports around budget, costs, labour, and efficiency to indicate current efficiency in maintenance operations.
• Recommend technical solutions and make recommendations for equipment and process improvements to the Vineyard Operations Management Team that will support a process and culture of continuous improvement.
• Ensure compliance with company policy and Federal and Provincial regulations (e.g. WCB regulations, transportation and fleet operations).
• Identify and evaluate new equipment/better practices that promote sustainable farming initiatives.
• Undertake specific projects as required by senior Management.
Team and Leadership Functions
• Build and maintain strong and positive relationships with key stakeholders, including Vineyard Operations and Management Teams, Viticulturists, Winemakers, Winery Operations, Human Resources, and Finance.
• Recruit, train, develop and motivate the maintenance team to optimize individual and team performance.
• Lead, mentor, coach, educate, and motivate maintenance Operations Team to maximize their potential through regular business reviews and structured training (current staff of 2).
• Lead the Performance Management and Talent Review Process for the Maintenance Team, ensuring future leaders are shaped through the development and execution of personal growth and development plans.
Ability to collaborate with Senior Managers, multiple teams, and mid-level managers throughout the company (i.e. Proprietor, VP Operations, Winemakers, Human Resources).
Education & Experience Requirements:
• 10+ years’ experience in Maintenance with at least 3 years in Management
• University degree in Engineering
• Experience in Agricultural/Vineyards is preferred
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office/Orca View/Bar 1/ Label View/ PLC control
• Strong mechanical aptitude with strong working knowledge of machinery, equipment, and systems
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact with all levels of staff
• Strong problem solving, organization, and communication skills
• Proven time management skills (prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines)
• Able to work well under pressure
• The successful candidate will be located out of Oliver, BC and be expected to travel between all vineyard locations on a regular basis - from the South Okanagan to West Kelowna/Kelowna – company vehicle will be provided.
• Will require working overnights through harvest and frost events in the Vineyards.
• Will work in an indoor and outdoor environment, at times in extreme heat or cold, will sit and stand for long periods, lift, carry, push, pull weights of up to 50 lbs.
Please submit your application online at www.missionhillwinery.com/careers.